As the New Year has just begun, you’ve likely been surrounded with a lot of talk about New Year’s resolutions. It Is around this time that many people begin to dream and hope for better social connections, improved physical fitness, greater business success and more. As Entrepreneur.com debunked in January of 2018, only 9.2% of people actually achieve their New Year’s resolutions. These resolutions tend to fail for a number of reasons:
- They’re based on wishes and emotions, rather than on needs, determination and plans to get there
- They never change anything that they’re doing, which is naturally required to get different results
- They’re placing too many high expectations on their plate rather than focusing on one or two simple goals to achieve within a specific time frame
Sadly, we place ourselves too far behind before we can ever get caught up when it comes to resolutions. Rather than creating a list of resolutions you’re unsure you’ll follow, make it a point to think more positively about yourself and your journey to recovery and see where it takes you. Mantras have been used by many who practice meditation and yoga as a way of focusing the mind on a thought they’d like to strengthen their belief in. Here are some excellent mantras to get you started:
- “Nothing changes if nothing changes.”
- “One step at a time.”
- “I’m living life on life’s terms.”
- “No matter where I go, there I am.”
Those in addiction recovery find these mantras to be some of the most important lessons they’ve had to learn in recovery, as well as the hardest to learn at times. Write them down, place them around your house and live them out. In doing this, you may find that your world becomes much bigger and happier – because you’re opening your mind, body and soul.
Cumberland Heights is a nonprofit alcohol and drug-addiction treatment center located on the banks of the Cumberland river in Nashville, Tennessee. On a sprawling 177-acre campus, we are made up of 2 12-Step immersion campuses, 12 outpatient recovery centers and 4 sober living homes. We believe that each person has a unique story to tell – and that’s why we always put the patient first.
Call us today at 1-800-646-9998 to take the next step towards your happiness and health.