Both our Still Waters' programs emphasize spiritual principles associated with each of the 12 Steps
Our Still Waters programs are 30 to 90 day, 12-Step immersion retreats for individuals ages 18 and up who are struggling with addiction to alcohol or drugs. Our retreats are gender-specific — one for men and one for women — with separate housing and recreation areas. At Still Waters, we teach Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA) principles of recovery using AA- and NA-approved literature along with fellowship, discussions, lectures and 12-Step group meetings.
Why Choose 12-Step Recovery?
The 12-Step program is one of the oldest and most successful methods of addiction recovery. It was initially adopted as part of Alcoholics Anonymous in the late 1930s and has become a fixture of AA and NA as well as many independent recovery programs like Still Waters. The 12 Step treatment model is widely regarded as a time-tested model for guiding individuals through addiction recovery and setting them on a healthy path toward lifelong recovery. The structure of the 12-Steps gives participants attainable goals to work toward and concrete actions to take in order to get better. In addition, studies from organizations including the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism most often show that individuals who regularly participate in AA meetings and follow the 12-Steps are significantly more likely to maintain their sobriety for longer amounts of time.
12-Step treatment offers consistency, as well. There are hundreds of thousands of 12-Step programs worldwide — AA alone has approximately 115,000 groups — and each of them follows the same principles, so no matter where you are you’ll always find the same welcoming support. When you choose the 12-Steps as your means of moving forward, you can feel confident that you’ll be joining a widespread community of like-minded people who are all working toward the same goal of sobriety and recovery.
Recovery Life at Still Waters
Our Still Waters facilities are both converted private residences nestled in the rolling hills of middle Tennessee, amidst large tracts of rural forest and pasture lands. During the retreat, you will enjoy comfortable, updated accommodations. Each gender-specific track has a main house which provides dining services, meeting rooms, offices and housing for counseling staff. Both residences also have additional guest houses where residents stay and sleep, with semi-private rooms and private baths. Residents of both facilities can meditate near extensive gardens or a gazebo — for men, near a peaceful creek on the property; and for women, near the large pond directly behind their main residence.
Every day at Still Waters is fully scheduled with therapeutic activities, including meditations, study groups and presentations. You’ll also have some personal time to relax or explore our beautiful grounds. Meals are prepared for you and scheduled into your day.
Is Still Waters Right for Me?
Like Cumberland Heights’ inpatient care options, Still Waters is a full-time, residential treatment program for individuals struggling with addiction and substance abuse. But it is not the same as traditional treatment — it offers long-term goals and support, emphasizes the power of a group environment and focuses on spirituality. If you believe that you or your loved one needs a more structured treatment experience, if you have not found the success or support you need in other programs or if you are a very spiritual person who is looking for treatment that incorporates your beliefs, Still Waters may be a better fit for you.
Still Waters can also be ideal for:
- Those who have been in full-time treatment before and are going through a relapse or a difficult time in their life
- Those who are finishing an intensive treatment program and want more time in full-time care
- Those who have been working toward recovery with AA or NA groups in their community and are interested in a “deep dive” into the 12 Step treatment model
- Those who are seeking a cost-effective residential program
The Still Waters Difference
In addition to learning about the disease of addiction, recovery and relapse, Still Waters emphasizes spiritual principles associated with each of the 12 Steps. Cumberland Heights’ Pastoral Services provides monthly programs and a monthly two-day family services program for Still Waters residents’ family members and loved ones. This additional emphasis on spiritual principles separates the Still Waters program from others.
We think you’ll find the Still Waters experience to be:
- A place where motivated men or women can separately go who have had primary treatment but cannot stay sober.
- A place where an individual needs a very 12-Step intensive program instead of a traditional treatment model.
- A program for those in the past which have fallen through the cracks. Who really want and need a minimum of 30-90 days of intensive 12-step work but cannot afford traditional treatment programs.
- A place where men or women are currently working a twelve step program can go to work very intensively on their recovery.
- A place for motivated individuals, that might be struggling in recovery, can go to help prevent a relapse.
- A place for individuals to expand their spiritual awareness of recovery principles.
- A place that is not just a 12-step “based” program but instead a 12-step “living” program.
- A place where men or women who are serious about getting clean and sober can learn how to live happy, joyous, and free!
Your Journey of Recovery Starts at Cumberland Heights
The Still Waters 12-Step treatment program is just one of your many options for recovery with Cumberland Heights. We offer a full range of levels of care, from detox through extended care, and we always strive to meet our clients where they are — we assess each person before admission to ensure we match them with the right services. If you are interested in Still Waters, we will work with you to include it in your long-term treatment plan when it will be most productive for you — whether it is your first step toward recovery or a supplement to detox and primary care. If you or your loved one is seeking treatment for addiction to drugs or alcohol and is looking for an immersive experience with the 12-Steps, contact us to learn more about Still Waters today.